Friday, 4 September 2026

North Norfolk Trip: 3rd September 2026

With the school holidays at an end and the weather cooler,  it's time for a trip to the coast. For the last few days reports of Pied Flycatcher, Wryneck and Little Stint amongst others have been popping up along the coast so there were high hopes for something interesting. So it was up by 5 am and off by 5.20 to be at Kelling just after sunrise.

And as always the wind directions shifted over night and on arrive it was apparent that there was little going on! Walking down to the Meadows produced a single ChiffChaff and a very noisy Buzzard. 

Buzzard (Digiscoped)

The pool held Teal and Mallard. Three Mute Swan were also present but little else. A search for Whinchat was unsuccessful but did produce three Stonechat.

Welcoming sign!

Walking back I spotted five Cattle Egret had dropped in along the edge of the pool. Talking to local birders they were excited by the numbers but having had 101 at Welney two days before   it didn't seem too exciting.

Cattle Egret (Digiscoped)

Cattle Egret and Mallard (Digiscoped)


I moved on to Cley arriving before the centre opened so parked up and headed out to Bishop's Hide. I was surprised to find that I had the place to myself and only four people came in during the time I was there.

The pool in front of the hide was busy with the usual wildfowl and there was a group of at least eighteen Spoonbill on the far side. Some of the young were still busy asking for food.

Spoonbill (Digiscoped)

Ruff, Black-tailed Godwit were present in good number with one Godwit ringed but only able to get the left leg (L:R^G). There was also six Little Stint mixed in with Dunlin and Ruff.


By ten o'clock my stomach told me it was time for breakfast so I adjourned to the Centre for a sausage and breakfast roll and a latte. A visit to Cley Spy resulted in the purchase of a new
travel scope (Hawke) which I gave a good testing over the next few hours!


After breakfast I wandered over to the other hides but there was little to add.


I moved down to the beach, which was pretty quiet not only of people but birds but did find a Razerbill in post breeding plumage.

Lunch was taken at Stiffkey, sitting in the hut looking out over the marshes and then walked down to the whirligig. This area has the reputation for being good for migrants but was very quiet but did have one moment of excitement when I got the briefest glimpse of a harrier that looked like a Monty or Pallid. Sadly too short a look to decide!

Curlew: Stiffkey Marshes


Final stop was Titchwell RSPB. My recent visit have not been great with large crowds everywhere and over zealous volunteers. So I was a bit tentative about this visit. However the place was so quiet it was unbelievable! Empty hides, no queues and the beach deserted! 

I had the highest number of Avocet I've every counted with at least 349 birds present. There was also good numbers of Black-tailed Godwit, Greylag and Black-headed Gull, and a single Spoonbill.

Black-tailed Godwit

There was a nice little collection of Dunlin but no sight of the Curlew Sandpiper reported. On the beach were eleven Ringed Plover as well Oystercatcher  and Curlew.



Ruff

Dunlin


Amongst the Greylags was a single Barnacle Goose.

Barnacle Goose